Tips For Dining Out - The Healthy Way
We all know how hard it can be to eat out healthy, but it doesn't have to be that way! It's all about planning and careful selection. You can still enjoy a tasty meal out on the town, without derailing from your healthy, home cooked meals!
Here are a few local dining spots that offer a nice, seasonal selection of healthy foods. We asked our RD Lori which menu items she suggested ordering:
Choose the Tahini cucumber and feta mix on greens. Add grilled shrimp or chicken for protein.
TRUE FOOD KITCHEN:
Choose the Winter Ingredients Salad with grilled fish or chicken.
Or, a warm option is the Teriyaki Bowl-filled with veggies.
*Menu changes regularly
Choose the Black bean hummus sandwich as a healthy vegetarian option if it is available, along with the cucumber gazpacho!
Tips To Help You Dine Out The Healthy Way:
- Choose your restaurant by perusing the menu ahead of time to make sure it offers something that fits with your nutritional goals
- Opt for grilled fish, chicken or lean meat as a protein source or, go vegetarian and look for legumes and meatless options
- Load up of fresh, seasonal veggies!! Raw or cooked - you cannot get enough of these.
- Choose healthy complex carbohydrates such as brown rice, black rice, quinoa or sweet potato. A healthy whole grain bread/roll or wrap is a great option as well.
- Drink plenty of water for hydration or choose a green, black or matcha tea for extra antioxidants!!
Planning is the key to successful dining out!! Plan ahead and ENJOY!!